Last week’s #NewWord2020 posts were very diverse – sports, foods, bioengineering, astronomy… They perfectly reflect the complexity of our contemporary life and how the language may illustrate it. Let us take a look at the seven new words we have found for you this past week. Were you surprised by any of them? 🙂
Second week of #NewWords2020
- farm-fresh – (of food, drink, or flavour) very fresh or fresh-tasting, (as if) coming straight from the farm,
- garbage time – a period of time towards the end of a game in which one team has such a substantial lead that the outcome is no longer in doubt,
- shot clock – a clock that displays a countdown of the time within which a shot must be attempted,
- antitail – a luminous protuberance which appears to extend from a comet’s head towards the sun,
- athleisure – casual, comfortable clothing or footwear designed to be suitable for both exercise and everyday wear,
- de-extinction – the (proposed or imagined) revival of an extinct species, typically by cloning or selective breeding,
- alkannin – a red colouring matter obtained from the root of certain plants of the family Boraginaceae, esp. alkanet (Alkanna tinctoria), and used as a food colouring and in cosmetics.
Our #NewWord2020 action is bringing us so much joy, and we hope you share it! Finding out about new words and concepts is an essential part of our job and our passion. If you would like to learn more about what we do, do not hesitate to contact us.